COVID-19 Interest Group
January 3, 2022
(by Tina Etcheverry)
We had an excellent, thought provoking, idea sharing meeting yesterday on the topic of vaccine hesitancy and the approach of motivational interviewing (and much, much more). Thank you for everyone’s participation, identifying issues and challenges, and sharing their ideas. A sincere thank you to Ken Brummel-Smith for starting off with his slides to get us started in the discussion. See his attached slides.
2. Approaches to the problem - O’Neil and Ken
3. Is there a role for Rotary to help out? - All
4. Action items….tbd
- Assistance Program to provide free rides to vaccine sites or booster shots
- Provide free home test kits, taking these to individuals and training them how to use them
- Initiate a Rotary education campaign on CDC approved antiviral treatments, history of vaccine hesitancy in polio/Spanish flu and other examples.
- Lunch and learn type events at local libraries
- Train people in methods of motivational interviewing for private conversations, or even group settings.
- Involve local leaders (religious leaders or non-political programs)
- How to reach people, specifically the unsure or vaccine resistant individuals
- How to avoid political overtones
- Myths and misperceptions